Careers - Student Information
The mission of the Pamplin Career Services office is to make our students perfect job seekers and connect to our customers (employers).
The Pamplin Career Services office performs three primary functions: (1) counsel students on understanding their major selection wtihin the marketplace; (2) connect students to employers; and (3) teach students how to become perfect job seekers.
By using technology, transferring knowledge, creating events, analyzing data and creating relationships, we strive to create life-altering experiences that are shared with others.
This mission is achieved through the following strategies outlined below:
- Business Horizons is the annual job fair for Virginia Tech Pamplin students. For the last 30 years in September, 2,500 students and 160+ employers assemble to connect face-to-face. As a result of employer demand, the first annual spring Business Horizons fair will occur February 18, 2013.
- Hokies4Hire is a free university job board for employers to post directly to students.
- Onsite Company Visits are designed to bring Virginia Tech and its students to the employer for a time of information exchange, as well as, a branding and recruiting strategy discussion. See a sample video from a recent visit.
- The Pamplin Career Connect eNewsletter is a periodic communication tool that shares employer messages about events, programs and other opportunities hosted by Career Services for students to attend and act upon. All issued are archived.
- Company Days in the Atrium (photo) are designed to offer employers a free-unique branding opportunity within the business school lobby. Students visit employer booths between classes to gain more information and inquire about jobs or internships.
- "Becoming a Perfect Job Seeker" is a model created for job seekers to use to obtain that hard to find job or internship. The model breaks down the search process into phases and understandable steps.
- Our Facebook Fan Page enables students to interact and obtain time-sensitive information on employment opportunities.
- The Pamplin Calendar of Events is distributed so students can plan their weeks and semesters by attending various on-campus events and programs.
Ultimately, our success wil be measured by the following metrics:
- Placement/Graduate School Rate
- Median Starting Salary
- On-Campus Interviewing Data
- Business Week Employer Ranking
- Business Horizons Attendance
- Company Visits
- Company Days
- 1-1 Meetings with Students
- Classroom Presentations
- Pamplin Career Connect eNewsletters