Changing to or Adding a Business Major
These instructions are for current Virginia Tech or Pamplin students who wish to change into or add a major in the Pamplin College of Business which includes the following majors:
|ACIS - Accounting & Information Systems||HTM - Hospitality & Tourism Management|
|BIT - Business Information Technology||MGT - Management|
|ECON - Economics||MKTG - Marketing|
|FIN - Finance|
- Read the Information for Future Majors (PDF) - students not currently in the Pamplin College of Business or students who are not native to ECON and HTM
- If you still have questions, attend an Information Session during the Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semesters. Registration is not required.
FALL SEMESTER 2016
The dates for 2016-2017 will be posted in August.
3. Before changing into a business major, please note that all of our lower division coursework for business must be successfully completed by the end of Spring 2015 if you will have attempted 90 credits (including AP, IB, T, Cambridge or CLEP). If you cannot meet this standard, and are accepted, then you will be required to complete an alternate progress toward the degree plan. Students will be required to meet with their advisor to complete the plan prior to end of the first week of the next semester's enrollment.
- ACIS 1504, 2115, 2116; MATH 1525-1526; BIT 2405, 2406; ECON 2005, 2006, are the lower division courses.
- All of these courses require a C- or better. For ECON majors, MATH courses require a B- or better, and ECON courses require a C or better.
- The combined GPA of these lower division business courses must be a 2.0 or better.
4. Use the on-line application process to apply for a change of major into the Pamplin College of Business (not for Native students in the Pamplin College of Business or students currently majoring in ACIS, BIT, FIN, MGT, or MKTG).
- Application for current Virginia Tech students and non-native* ECON and HTM majors to change major to ACIS, BIT, ECON, FIN, HTM, MGT and MKTG - CLOSED
Review process begins on Monday, May 23, 2016 and students will be notified by Thursday, May 26, 2016.
Applications will open again, August 8, 2016 through August 14, 2016 (if you are taking courses for summer II 2016, you can apply during this time period).
All students accepted into the Pamplin College of Business as an internal transfer (accepted from another major outside of the Pamplin College of Business), will be required to attend an orientation session in late August. Students will be contacted via email with more information.
NOTE: There is no guarantee that Change of Major students will be able to add business courses to their schedule their first semester as a Pamplin major.
- Requirements for ACIS, BIT, FIN, MGT and MKTG
- Requirements for HTM
- Requirements for ECON - NOTE: All students applying to ECON will have a hold placed on their record until they meet with Ms. Erika Perdue in ECON (3030 Pamplin Hall). Students applying in August have until August 4, 2016 to schedule that appointment.
- CHANGE OF MAJOR REQUEST FORM for native* students in HTM and ECON and students in ACIS, BIT, BUS, FIN, MGT or MKTG to change or add a major within the college.
of Business and have remained in the college or Pamplin students who entered into a restricted major (ACIS, BIT, FIN, MGT, MKTG).