Changing to or Adding a Business Major
These instructions are for current Virginia Tech or Pamplin students who wish to change into or add a major in the Pamplin College of Business which includes the following majors:
|ACIS - Accounting & Information Systems||HTM - Hospitality & Tourism Management|
|BIT - Business Information Technology||MGT - Management|
|ECON - Economics||MKTG - Marketing|
|FIN - Finance|
- Read the Information for Future Majors (PDF)
- If you still have questions, attend an Information Session during the Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 semesters. Registration is not required.
Sessions to be continued in August - check back for dates.
3. Before changing into a business major, please note that all of our lower division coursework for business must be successfully completed by the end of Spring 2015 if you will have attempted 90 credits (including AP, IB, T, Cambridge or CLEP). If you cannot meet this standard, and are accepted, then you will be required to complete an alternate progress toward the degree plan. Students will be required to meet with their advisor to complete the plan prior to end of the first week of the next semester's enrollment.
- ACIS 1504, 2115, 2116; MATH 1525-1526; BIT 2405, 2406; ECON 2005, 2006, are the lower division courses.
- All of these courses require a C- or better. For ECON majors, MATH courses require a B- or better, and ECON courses require a C or better.
- The combined GPA of these lower division business courses must be a 2.0 or better.
4. Use the on-line application process to apply for a change of major into the Pamplin College of Business (not for Native students in the Pamplin College of Business or students currently majoring in ACIS, BIT, FIN, MGT, or MKTG).
- Application for current Virginia Tech students and non-native* ECON and HTM majors to change major to ACIS, BIT, ECON, FIN, HTM, MGT and MKTG
- OPEN -
Applications will be accepted ON-LINE ONLY, May 18, 2015 through May 25, 2015. Students will receive results prior to Friday, June 5, 2015.
Applications will be accepted again August 12, 2015 through August 18, 2015.
NOTE: There is no guarantee that Change of Major students will be able to add business courses to their schedule their first semester as a Pamplin major.
- Requirements for ACIS, BIT, FIN, MGT and MKTG
- CHANGE OF MAJOR REQUEST FORM for native* students in HTM and ECON and students in ACIS, BIT, BUS, FIN, MGT or MKTG to change or add a major within the college.
of Business and have remained in the college or Pamplin students who entered into a restricted major (ACIS, BIT, FIN, MGT, MKTG).